Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Internship begins...

So it's Dec 15th and my internship begins today. Excited? Yeah!! Immensely and a little nervous too!!! :D 

Well in this while I had been somewhat preparing for my internship to start in a good pace. I went through the basic GTK tutorials and underlying API references and fixed some of the bugs in Empathy.



A few ambiguities resolved. A small fix was made in Empathy's account's dialog which required changing the tab focus chain sequence. Another notable change was that when no accounts are set up in empathy (or all are disabled) then instead of having the full 'Room' menu made insensitive, only sub menus Join, Join Favorites and any favorite rooms are made insensitive. Which means, if a user had no account set up then he can now click on the "Room" menu and his default empathy view would be somewhat like this (ignore the theme):

There will be a 'Save all' button functionality added to the debug window hopefully soon. The work on it was stalled due to some GTK bug yet unresolved. I created a standalone application to demonstrate it but that didn't seem to have caused much effect.

I hope I keep up to mark and create things that the open world would remarkably recognize and appreciate! I have a long way to go and this is only the first step. I have learnt a lot of things on my way to this first rung of my career and it was a wonderful experience.
Wondering how enthralling it's gonna be beyond this. :)

5 comments:

  1. That is indeed a nice usability touch. Empathy is still in need of usability refreshment compared to pidgin. Keep up the good work. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, keep up the good work and all the best :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great. If possible, can you also look at the bug which prevents you from using empathy in channels which have a ! in their name. You can connect to the channels, but can't post anything to it.

    BTW I think you meant "Excited" and not "Exited"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you guys! :)
    Manish, i'll see what can be done there. It would be really helpful if you can take out some time and a file a bug against it on https://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=empathy with details of how you produced it, and give the bug-link to me. I'll see if it can be confirmed and try to resolve it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Manish: have you filed that bug?

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

interviewBit Medium: Palindrome Partitioning II

Problem Name:  Palindrome Partitioning II Problem Description : https://www.interviewbit.com/problems/palindrome-partitioning-ii/ Problem Ap...